Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Adora Svitak and providing the opportunities for success

Kourosh Ziabari - The Comment Factory: The story of Adora Svitak’s childhood speaks to me in a number of ways. The 11-year old child prodigy is a writer and illustrator who has authored storybooks for children, with two books published so far and another three in the pipeline.

Once ABC’s Diane Sawyer called Adora a “tiny literary giant” which is a good description. It is these tiny giants, who are traditionally overlooked by so-called “superiors” and “elders”, that can really shake the world if given the opportunity.

I remember myself as a young child having quixotic dreams of myself as the UN Secretary General of 2050 or winning the Nobel Peace Prize. In 2000, at the tender age of 10, I could already speak four languages fluently, had published near to a 1,000 articles and short stories both in English and Persian, and had given several lectures and interviews on local stages.

However, I failed to climb the pinnacles which I’d planned for my life, and this failure has underscored for me the critical importance of patronage and sponsorship. The fact is you cannot lift yourself up when you are deprived of the aides to help you realize your talents.

The outlets which had promoted me, in spite of their noble endeavors, were not appearing on a global level and their influence on the mainstream was on the whole insignificant.

No comments: